The D&D Boss Fight (Part 4)

August 20, 2010
Apart from the general ranting, raving, and what I will laughingly call “advice” on this website, I’ve now published two complex subsystems here: The Boss Fight and The Slaughterhouse. Now, some of you may be surprised to learn that I’m not much of an altruist. I didn’t set out to write and publish neat ideas for other people to use. I set out to improve my own home game, lost control of what I was doing, and ending up building something that I thought was elegant and versatile enough to be useful to others. I only codified everything because I tend to do that anyway.And, if you look at my two subsystems, you might notice something interesting. First, I built The Boss Fight system to improve dragons after they failed to live up to my dream. Second, I built The Slaughterhouse system to facilitate running a big dungeon. Now that I have improved both Dungeons and Dragons, I suppose I am pretty much done. What else is there? I guess I can come up with some slight balances to the Ampersand. After that article, I can take this website down  and I’ll have a lot more free time on my hands.

At any rate, The Boss Fight was originally intended to fix dragons and, as I’ve said, I lost control and devoted more time to the system than the actual monsters. The first example of what I was trying to do was not even a dragon.

But I am here to make up for it with my entry into Colmarr’s Monster Mayhem Blog Carnival and, in so doing, codify the final Boss Fight system.

The Core Boss Fight System

A Boss is a special type of Solo monster. Mechanically, it has the same hit points, defenses, attacks, damage, and save bonuses as any other Solo Monster, there are a few key differences. The biggest difference is that the Boss Monster consists of three separate stat blocks, called Stages, that it proceeds through as the fight progresses. All three Stages must be defeated or overcome as part of a single encounter and the total encounter is worth as much XP as a normal Solo Monster.

Each stage of the Boss Monster has exactly one third of the hit points of a normal Solo Monster and has no bloodied state. Each stage also includes a triggered action that is triggered when that Stage is reduced to 0 or fewer HP. That action causes the Boss Monster to perform some final action that usually results in it disengaging with the party and ultimately causes the Stage to be removed from the battle completely and replaced with the next Stage as if a new monster had entered the fight. The new Stage rolls initiative and acts normally. This action is called a Stage Transition.

The Stage Transition never requires an action (it’s ‘no action’) and it always includes language that indicates that it is usable regardless of what is happening. It will also specifically note that the old creature is removed from the battle and replaced by an entirely new creature so that nothing carries over from one Stage to the next. This is done to trump and/or prevent any odd rules interactions that might come. Nothing carries over from one Stage to the next; each Stage is completely modular.

The third Stage of a Boss Monster is always its Bloodied Stage. This allows the party to use abilities that key off of a bloodied monster. Thus, each Boss Monster in Stage 3 has a trait that indicates that is always considered bloodied.

Each Stage of the Boss Monster has one action point.

These are pretty much the core rules of the Boss Monster. In order to qualify as a Boss Monster under my system, those are the core rules. Everything else is really just window dressing.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to The D&D Boss Fight (Part 4)

1. Snarls-at-Fleas on August 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Very good idea. I will test this and worldbreaker rules in my games and will be able to tell more. Right now I think maybe creatures in defferent stages should be more different?
    Right now I frequently use one trick for standart monsters – when melee monster is bloodied it retreats and starts to fight at range. Of course it works not with any monster, but with solo it could be more pronounced. Like at first stage a self-confident solo brute fights face to face with plenty of close bursts. On second stage it feels the danger and changer to perhaps a skirmisher, summoning some reinforcment. And on third stage we’ll see kinda artillery, hiding behind his henchmen backs.
    Of course there could be other ways.

2. Arbanax on August 21, 2010 at 2:08 am

I love what you are coming up with here ADM, I like the idea that the boss changes or even evolves as he realises this is the fight of his life. So he should, the concept is a good one, and its why this keeps appearing in computer games. I think the jury is out on if this or the Worldbreaker system will work better, or be easier to stat out for DM’s (specially new ones like me) but its still a creative stab in the right direction.

I’ve got two questions if you’ll indulge me, firstly the power mentioned above says, that between its two seperate rounds, it can use an immediate action, no where is it listed on the sheet what an immediate action is? Is this a standard, a minor or a move action or is it any action? But one only, as opposed to the three normal actions one gets within one round?

Secondly this whole discussion about solos has got people mentioned rules tweaks specifically in DMG2 MM2 and MM3, I only own the three core books. If I am looking at challenging my heroic tiered group and changing the old monster in MM1 – where and with what books might I start?

Thanks again

Ab

3. The Angry DM on August 21, 2010 at 9:46 am

@Arbanax Thanks! I’m glad you like it.

An immediate action is a type of action. In D&D, 4E, the types of actions are standard, move, minor, free, immediate, and opportunity. Immediate actions include both immediate reactions and immediate interrupts. The young red dragon has one immediate reaction (Wing Snap or Spitfire depending on the stage).

The trouble with an immediate action (reaction or interrupt) is that a creature is generally allowed only one immediate reaction per round. In order to give the dragon two full sets of actions, I needed to explicitly state that the dragon doesn’t just get one immediate action per round, it gets one for each of its turns. That way, it can use its Wing Snap or Spitfire once between each of its turns, not once every two turns. PHB 267-268 describes the action types including immediate actions.

First of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game published in the first three core rule books. If those are all you have, the game works. But, as for what changed:

The solos and elites in MM2 were built using slight tweaks to the rules for creating them (specifically defenses and HP). If you don’t want to take the time to create your own elites and solos, MM2 has a lot of good monsters.

DMG2 explained the changes in MM2 and gave DMs better advice for building elites and solos, gave rules for creating minions, and also provided some new options for making custom monsters (such as Monster Themes). If you like making new monsters of your own, you need the DMG2. But DMG2 also did a lot great work on skill challenges, adventure design, and gave instructions for building custom traps. DMG2 is actually more useful to me than DMG1.

MM3 changed just about everything to do with monster design. Apart from the new statblock, all of the numbers got tweaked (specifically damage and attack rolls) and the philosophy of monster design changed as well. Basically, monsters now do more things automatically or on a miss so that the monster can fill its role even if it misses on attack rolls (soldiers mark a target even when they miss, for example). MM3 contains a lot of improvements, subtle and overt, and its worth having. But, it doesn’t provide a good range of heroic tier monsters (it focusses more on paragon and epic).

Finally, in order to allow DMs to use the MM3 changes, WotC published an update in July to the custom monster tables in the DMG. Again, if you like to create your own monsters, get the update. Its a free pdf download from http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates (and the archive contains all of the older rules updates for free as well).

Finally, my advice is this: get the DMG2 and the Rules Update. DMG2 has so many useful things that I can’t imagine not having it.

If you have a DDI subscription and can access the compendium, you can already see the MM3 and MM2 monsters, but if you don’t, you should consider picking those up in the future if you’d prefer not to make too many of your own monsters. But, in the heroic tier especially, you can live without both and I’d suggest grabbing MM2. The update/MM3 didn’t change much about the heroic tier and you can live without it.

4. Jimmifett on August 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you are still allowing the PCs to spend one healing surge and regain 1 encounter during the stage changes, you may want to change to “spend 1 healing surge, and regain either 1 encounter power or 2 power points” to account for psionic players.

5. Arbanax on August 22, 2010 at 3:35 am

HI ADM thanks for the comprehensive advice, I shall take that to heart and take a look at the errata again, before making some decisions about what comes next.

Out of interest can you give me some examples of monosters as I have a subscription to DDI and I can compare old with new through that, if I know what I am looking at.

Thanks again.

6. Level 1 DM on September 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi there, does anyone have a retooled level 1 white dragon (from the Kobold Hall adventure)based on this concept? I could take the time to create my own, but I’m still learning and wouldn’t mind using something already made as a guide if anyone has it.

7. Mark G on October 3, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I’ve used the Boss Fight template a couple times now, and I’ve found a great basis for ideas are World of Warcraft bosses. I’ve noticed that they have used a template like this several times(think Onyxia or the Black Knight from ToC), and modeling after these have worked quite well.

8. JRR on October 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’m really glad I came across these articles. I have been working on something very similar for “staged” boss fights for a very long time now. I’ve experimented with different ideas that were completely contained in one monster stat block. These were moderate successes, but did not completely fill my need for more epic battles.

Then MM3 came out with the two-stage version of Lolth (so there is official precedent for this sort of thing). She was really well designed and I longed to see her in action, but my players were currently in Heroic tier.

I have a feeling this style of boss design may be catching on in more than the wonderful world of homebrew.

9. Brian S on October 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Just finished a session when my players faced their first “boss fight” – a kraken attacking their ship. First it grappled at them from the water, then it dove below the ship and tried to sink it with tentacles (a bunch of individual minion tentacles), and finally it heaved its dying bulk onto the deck, snapping the mainmast and thrashing about in all directions in its death throes. The stat blocks weren’t perfect (I’m still a bit rusty as a 4E GM), but the general concept flowed nicely and was well received. Kudos!

10. Jake on January 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Does anyone still post here, three years on?

Has the Angry DM updated these rules for post-MM3? At least for me, I used Bloodknuckles, and he was vastly more fun than another opponent I used the same day (a more conventionally-designed one), but he hit very hard. Then again, I updated BK’s damage to post-MM3, and maybe I shouldn’t have done that.

Last Sunday, I ran a session of 4e, and used a creature I’d designed using advice from this site (a solo controller 11, against 10th-level PCs), and also Sly Flourish’s advice (using skill checks to tie up PC attention). There were a number of orbs scattered around the battlefield, three of them, which gave the monster: +4 to all defenses, regeneration 10, and resist all 5. Anyone who has seen Sly Flourish’s demilich will know exactly what I’m talking about.

The first phase was fairly brutal, because the PCs spent two to three rounds trying to disable the orbs, often hampered by their opponent hitting them with immobilize attacks. In the third round the boss had taken only 7 damage, since he was hardly ever hit (or even attacked), and was regenerating damage at a pretty decent rate.

Good thing they took down the orbs, especially the regeneration ones, because the second phase was actually five creatures. Regenerating 50 hp/round would have been … nasty.

The third phase went much faster. The creature was doing more damage, but was also taking more damage. Half the party seemed to be unconscious at any one time, and the avenger was dropped to literally 1 hit point away from negative bloodied (eg death).

All in all, great fun, and only one player complained (and he’s the type to complain about everything).

11. Keith on February 11, 2013 at 12:48 am

@Jake I just found this the other day and used it to design an encounter with a Dragon, so I guess yeah 3 years later people are still reading it :)

@Everyone I’m curious to get Feedback for an encounter I designed. Basically I had a red dragon that spend the first phase flying around, then smashed into the ground in a volcano crater causing cooled lava to be shattered. A skill challenge brought the players to the nest of the dragon after it limped off, where they finished it off. I think perhaps I am too easy on my players as it didn’t seem difficult enough, although I think they enjoyed it. I’d be willing to send my full write up for the encounter to anyone’s who interested to get some feeback.

12. Orwellian on October 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I’m about to use this format for a chimera solo in D&D Next. Instead of being the mythical creature with three heads, I’m going to run it as a single-headed monster that transforms twice, bringing all the heads into play with different fighting styles per stage. Thanks for the idea!

13. Lasse on December 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

I used Bloodknuckles last night, and it was a laugh! So far my group has only encountered a white dragon wyrmling as a solo, and the beat ridiciously easy. A part of 4 had a really interesting figth with blooknuckles buffed to be a lvl 5 solo. Everybody was very involved and had to adjust to a monster attacking them 3-4 times a round, even more when they triggered a phase transition. I my group gets used to it I think this can be a very valuable tool for building interesting solo encounters. I will let you know further progress, as I have plans to try out Sarshan from your other thread. Cheers!